Friday, October 1, 2010

3 Year Anniversary :)

So today was me and Carl's 3 Year Anniversary.  3 years already!  Can you believe it?  Us neither.  It's kind of crazy, especially when I go through pictures and remember everything like it was yesterday.

To start things off, Emily came over early to drop something off.  I thought it was just the papers for my Monoprix fidelity card (it's like a bonus card), but she had a big bag with her.  She said I couldn't look at it yet, but that by the end of the day I would know what it was and would know when to look in it.  After she left, something kind of clicked a little bit....

Anyway, the other day Carl told me that if my phone were to ring with a number I didn't know today, that I HAD to pick it up.  Even if it wasn't him talking on the other line.  Of course, I didn't like this idea at all, as I hate talking to people I don't know on the phone and I didn't even know what it would be for!  The only times it has been perfectly easy for me to talk to strangers on the phone was at Sears doing shoe checks because I knew the person on the other end was in the same boat as me.  Plus, it was kind of my job.  So I was worried all day that I'd miss the call, so I turned the volume up really high (I have to remember to turn it down before I go to bed, or I'll wake up with the loss of hearing in one ear), brought it into the bathroom with me when I showered, carried that huge, clunky phone in my front pocket while grocery shopping, brought it into the kitchen while cooking lunch, and then had it glued to my side for the rest of the afternoon.  No call.  I was kind of starting to get worried by now, as maybe my number wasn't working (Carl had said it might be a local number). 

So you can see where I thought that maybe these two things were linked....the phone call which had something very important to do with our anniversary and something wrapped in bags that I couldn't open until I knew the time was right....  maybe right when a phone rang?

But the phone never rang.  I had enjoyed my lunch and a light snack and tea and was enjoying myself watching highlights of the Sabres vs. Senators Round 2 of the 2006 Playoffs.  In the middle of my highlights, there was a knock on my door.  Thinking it was either Emily about my mysterious gift or Bronwyn telling me my hockey highlights were too loud, I got up and opened the door only to find ---- a random french girl standing there holding a baguette.  She informed me that when she had asked for her mail at the 'Acqueil', the guy working there had asked her to go to room B24 and tell the girl there that he need to talk to her.  Right away I thought that something must be wrong, such as my rent or something equally as important.  So I originally planned on going down tomorrow morning, so as not to let it ruin our anniversary.  But after a few minutes, I literally felt sick with worry, so I went down to the 'Acqueil' and said, "You needed me?" (only in french: "Tu as besoin de moi? Chambre B24?") "Room B24?".  He asked me what my name was (probably to verify that it was really me), and then walked over to the door, where I followed him (our conversation had taken place through the little window).  Then he handed me this giant box!!  I was in shock, until I looked through the see-through lid and saw flowers!!  My heart nearly fell out of my chest!  I don't think I've ever had such a wonderful surprise!!  Right away, I almost started balling my eyes out, and I know the look on my face must have been full of such joy and surprise because then the guy said, in english, "Enjoy!" with a huge grin on his face and I said "Thank you!!" and walked myself and this big box of flowers back up to my room, trying not to cry with happiness!!!!

And then what do you know....I opened my pink roses (!!) and realized it was time to open what Emily had brought me this morning.  Lo and behold, it was a vase!!!!  So as I started trimming my roses, Carl came online!!  Perfect timing!! 

So, yes, I have to admit that even though we are 4000 miles apart for our anniversary, it was still a perfect anniversary (if you don't take into account that he was here to spend it with me - but we talked on the webcam for a really long time, so it was almost the same thing....almost....).  I can't believe how thoughtful Carl is.  A+ for being extremely romantic even when we're so far apart :  )

I took it upon myself to dress up a bit in a nice sweater (and skirt earlier, but then I got chilly so I put on my dark-wash skinny jeans, very classy) and to make myself a nice dinner.  I made stove-top macaroni and cheese, which turned out to be amazing!  I'll send anyone the recipe if you want it!!  And it was quick and easy, too!!  I also had some Chardonnay (Carl had some in Belhurst, so when I saw it, I just had to get it).  And in a little bit I'll be having my dessert of french vanilla coffee (from Carl <  3) and crousillant chocolat noisette, which I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the picture on the box looks like it involves chocolate mousse.  I'll let you all know.

In other knews, the fantasy hockey draft went better than I had expected last night, after my draft decided not to load.  But luckily I have the most amazing boyfriend in the world, who put his own draft on the line to help me out with mine *smiley face*!!  I have a pretty good team and I'm excited about it.  And I'm pretty sure that I'm already addicted....

Tomorrow there is apparently a bazaar thing going on at Comedie, with vendors selling all sorts of things, including food, so I might head out there in the morning/early afternoon just to check it out.  Otherwise I'll be couped up all weekend because Emily has a friend visiting and they are doing all sorts of things together.  Plus, I have an essay to write so I'd rather get that done tomorrow or Sunday rather than wait til the last minute on Monday.  So even with getting out tomorrow I'll still be couped up doing that!!

I also have been reading du Bellay's Defense et illustration de la langue francaise (Defense and illustration of the french language) FOR FUN!!  Well, not really for fun, more like because it's on all the French M.A.  reading lists.  But I already had the book because we are going to be referencing it a lot in my Ronsard class, so I figured I'd like to have it for that.  So I've been reading it.  It's an easy read, and pretty interesting so far.  Never thought I'd say that, but it's true.

I hope to write soon!
I love you all.  Please send my love to Mocha and to Gramma and to Bushie.
And don't forget how amazing Carl is next time you see him!!!!
Luvvies forever,
Heather

3 comments:

  1. LOL Du Bellay! I learned about that in my medieval french lit class. It's not medieval, but it's like right after. fun stuff, seeing how the language developed.

    So glad you had a great anniversary! I know Carl was so worried you'd have a crappy day or not get the flowers!

    Ooo the bazaar....towards mid december they will probably have a christmas bazaar!! just like la rochelle!

    And LOL I can't believe you are saying the draft went well! Two words: CAM WARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet of carl!! he is quite the plot artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything BUT CAM WARD went well grr

    and yes, he's so conniving and got my friend here to work with him....she's so sneaky!!

    ReplyDelete